Stress Urinary Incontinence
overactive bladder (OAB)
1. Stress Incontinence: Urine leakage with activities (coughing, sneezing, laughing, lifting, exercising)
Treatments for Stress Urinary Incontinence include:
- Home pelvic floor exercise “Kegel’s”
- Supervised pelvic floor therapy
- Biofeedback therapy
- Vaginal Inserts, ie. Pessary
- Surgical treatment options like slings, tapes, suspension and debulking
- The Viveve, which is a non-surgical, non-invasive way to treat, and in a high percentage of patients, cure stress urinary incontinence with the added benefit of improved sensation during sex for a more pleasurable outcome. Learn more here Combine with the O-Shot for an even better outcome.
- O-Shot – helps to reduce inflammation, regenerate nerves, and supports tissue growth. Learn more here Combine with Viveve for an even better outcome.
2. Urge incontinence/overactive bladder (OAB): Leaking when you have sudden compelling desire to urinate that you are not able to control.
Treatments for Urge Incontinence include:
- Timed voiding
- Dietary changes like avoiding coffee, spicy foods, alcohol, acidic foods, carbonated drinks, artificial sugars, etc.
- Pelvic floor therapies
- Urge suppression
- Medication for overactive bladders
- Botox and neuromodulators
- O-Shot – helps to reduce inflammation, regenerate nerves, and supports tissue growth.
- The Viveve – helps to rebuild tissue and give more support to the bladder neck
Pelvic Organ Prolapse – a problem that many women suffer from that contribute to leaking. Half of women 50-79 years old have some form of prolapse. Risk factors for prolapse increase with age and number of pregnancies, being overweight, smoking, and suffering chronic coughing or chronic constipation( extra pressure on the bladder neck which gets weak with time and age).
Treatment options are the same as for Stress Urinary Incontinence.
Non-surgical treatments for Urinary Incontinence are available at VitalityMD.
- Viveve – a non surgical, non invasive way to treat, and in a high percent of patients, cure stress urinary incontinence with the added benefit of improved sensation during sex for a more pleasurable outcome. Learn more here
- The O-Shot – Helps to reduce inflammation, regenerate nerves and supports tissue growth. Learn more here
- Pelvic Floor Exercises – VitalityMD offers the Intensity Device by InControl Medical. Intensity’s muscle stimulation provides the “mind muscle connection”, as Intensity automatically strengthens your pelvic floor muscles, it teaches you how an effective, properly performed Kegel exercise should feel—allowing you to learn proper technique. With added inflation, Intensity’s vibration activates more nerves, meaning your body is learning to experience more sensation with every session.
Many women may experience some mild occasional leakage when they are younger, and then note a sudden worsening around menopause. This is no coincidence as estrogen helps to keep the connective tissues of the pelvis and urinary tract healthy. With the lack of estrogen that accompanies menopause, the supports to the bladder and urethra weaken. Also, bladder capacity reduces as we get older, so we need to go to the restroom more frequently. With reductions in physical agility, it can sometimes be difficult to get to the toilet in time. Many medical disorders that may predispose one to incontinence, such as hypertension, vascular disease, neurological disorders and diabetes, become more prevalent as we get older. Local or systemic hormones may help.
Most of us either have or know someone who experiences some degree of stress urinary incontinence. It has a profound effect on them. They suffer in silence, it’s embarrassing, it prevents them from enjoying many activities they love. Come to the experts in women’s health and get the results you need. Women have found that our treatments have been life altering.